Saturday, March 31, 2007

Feast of John Donne, 5 Lent, Saturday

John Donne, 31 March 1631

XIX (from John Donne's Holy Sonnets, spelling modernized)

Oh, to vex me, contraries meet in one:
Inconstancy unnaturally hath begot
A constant habit; that when I would not
I change my vows, and in devotion.
As humorous is my contrition
As my profane Love, and as soon forgot:
As riddlingly distempered, cold and hot,
As praying, as mute; as infinite, as none.
I durst not view heaven yesterday; and today
In prayers, and flattering speeches I court God:
Tomorrow I quake with true fears of his rod.
So my devout fits come and go away
Like a fatastic Ague: save that here
Those are my best days, when I shake with fear.

A fitting poem of his to reflect upon, I thought, just before Holy Week, when the twelve will betray, deny, or abandon Jesus in his last hours. How have we wavered in our Lenten disciplines or vows? How can we respond more earnestly to Jesus' request to watch and pray this last night watch with him?

Collect for John Donne: Almighty God, the root and fountain of all being: Open our eyes to see, with your servant John Donne, that whatever has any being is a mirror in which we may behold you; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogging Episcopalians
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Powered by RingSurf